Sunday, December 19, 2010

Frosty the Snowman or Rudolph?

Writing is very important at the school where I teach. In fact, even though I am a math teacher, I am still expected to ask my students to write at least once a week. I usually do this on Fridays during their “bell work” -- something the students work on during the first five minutes of class. At times I ask serious questions, and at other times I have some fun. Of course, most of my students like my second type of questions the best. I was inspired by a Creative Writing teacher I had in high school who would ask questions like, “What would you rather be and why: an apple or an orange?” I love those questions! This past week (the week before Christmas break), I had the students answer this: What would you rather be and why -- Frosty the Snowman or Rudolph? I just finished reading over 100 student responses, and some of them made me laugh out loud. I have some very creative students! Rudolph won hands down, and most of the answers rotated around being able to fly, meeting Santa, and having a red nose. Now, why anyone would be excited about having a red nose, I have no idea. (Of course, I have a cold right now and really hope my nose does not get red.) Below are some of my favorite responses that I got from my students (some clever…some bizarre). I hope they make you smile!

I want to be Rudolph because then I can fly. Also as Rudolph, I don’t have to die every Spring. Also I would not have to worry about squirrels because in my neighborhood squirrels eat the snowman’s nose.

I would rather be Frosty the Snowman because I would like to run all around the square having fun with friends. I would want stick arms once and I want to have a hat on my head. Then when the sun goes down SPLAT I want to get hit by a car but not die.

I would rather be Rudolph. I won’t melt in the summer, and I’d have a shiny nose. I would never die, and I’d be with SANTA. If I’d be Rudolph I could read at night! My name will fit on more things than Frosty the Snowman.

I would rather be Rudolph because the other day, on the news, Frosty got hit by a car. I want to live past Christmas if you know what I mean.

I’d rather be Rudolph. I chose this because I could command one of my evil elf minions to write a fake letter to Santa telling him all I want for Christmas. Then when we went to drop off the presents I would shut off my light. Santa would crash and I would pick up my presents. Then I would live safely under the name of Albert L. Georgenson in case of a lawsuit. I would have a fake mustache and beard.

I would be Frosty so I could melt myself down then scare the crud out of playing 2-year olds. I would do that because 2 year olds have it too good. They’re always playing and screaming. So that’s why I’d be Frosty.

I would rather be Rudolph. I would melt and dogs would pee on me if I was Frosty.

I would rather be Rudolph. I would rather be Rudolph because I could fly. Also, because I could have a built-in flashlight. Plus, since I would be magic I could create snowmen that did everything I told them to do and hurt people I don’t like. They would be my minions.

If I could choose to be Frosty or Rudolph, I would rather be Frosty because when somebody throws a snowball at me, It wouldn’t bug me as much. And I would be a talking and hopping snowman. 

I would rather be Frosty because Rudolph has to work. I admit I’ve worked a lot at my Mom’s, but I’m tired. I don’t want to do work anymore.

I would rather be Rudolph than Frosty because I could fly. I’d have a “shiny nose” that lights up. I’d be able to see in the dark and I’d go down in history. Plus a talking snowman is creepy.

1 comment:

  1. A talking snowman is kind of creepy, but isn't a talking reindeer too? :-)

    ReplyDelete