Saturday, January 1, 2011

Jen and her Resolutions -- Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!!

2011 is going to be a great year of new beginnings, second chances, dreams realized, and definitely a lot of laughter! (Or at least I hope so!) I was at the store the other day and should have purchased the plaque I saw:

Live Well. Love Much. Laugh Often.

To be honest, I may go back and get it! I think it needs to hang somewhere in my home -- maybe near my plaque that says “Laundry today or Naked tomorrow.” Ha! I do need another plaque, too:  Fall less. Dance much. Keep my mouth shut more often. (grin) If you just laughed, you either believe that I need all of those or you are in line to get that same plaque for yourself!

It’s time for those New Year’s Resolutions!! Last year I said I wanted to exercise more -- “2010 is the year for Jen!” (grin) Cheesy slogan, but it made me laugh. So what is my slogan this year? Not sure. I said out loud before thinking, “2011 is the year for heaven!” OH! Ok, not that I plan to DIE this year! Another -- “2011 is the year for Kevin!” Nope, as far as I know, I don’t know anyone named Kevin other than my brother. He can use that slogan, but this is supposed to be all about me! HA! (You do know that my tongue is completely in my cheek, right?) I’m vacationing at my friends’ home, and I just asked them what rhymes with eleven. The resulting conversation was much more fun than anything we are actually going to come up with as one friend was echoing the other without realizing it! Here were a few from one of my friends: “2011 and I’ll sleep till 7.” (That can still be early!) OR “2011 and I’ll lose 7” (Gosh, I hope I lose more than that!) AND “2011 and I’ll date 7.” Cool…all at the same time??? HA! Well, maybe this year doesn’t need a slogan. (grin) Although I did like this one from our conversation, “2011, on earth Jen’ll have heaven.”

I did exercise more in 2010, lost some weight thanks to that exercise, and plan to keep it up. This year I am going to have to try to cook more at home! AAAHHHHHH, say it isn’t so!! Gosh, this means that maybe I should change the batteries in my smoke alarm, get fire insurance, and maybe not hide plastic containers in my oven! Ok, so I don’t store plastics in my oven….anymore! Years ago, I had some friends who were coming over, and instead of quickly washing the large plastic containers that didn’t fit in the dishwasher, I hid them for the time in my oven. Unfortunately, I forgot they were there! Oops! Later that night I preheated the oven for the pizza I was going to bake for the children and I. When I walked into the kitchen and saw the smoke coming out of the top burners, I realized my mistake. I turned off the oven and then foolishly opened the door. Smoke poured out, rose to the ceiling and rolled around up there while I quickly ran around opening every window I could find! Of course, the smoke alarm went off. When I finally got that to stop (I think by stealing its batteries), I found the kids dancing in the family room with arms extended stirring up the smoke that was hanging from the ceiling. Argh!! That’s when I put them in the car, and we took a trip to the local fast food establishment. You’d think I’d learn from that, but I did it ONE more time! This time was more painful as I had hid my crock pot in the oven. (One less crockpot in my home after that!) My mom sent me a news article soon after about some guys who had hid illegal fireworks in their oven when the police came calling. They, too, forgot about their stash when one of them decided to preheat the oven at 2:00 in the morning. Boom!! I guess I should be glad I only melted plastic!

Cooking is not exactly my favorite sport. I can cook … a bit. And despite popular belief, I CAN boil water! (Oh my gosh, I am such a good catch, aren’t I? HA!) I just don’t know all the fast techniques that help make food tasty without requiring hours pouring over the dreaded cookbook. If I cook, I want it to be easy and fairly quick to make. With that said, though, I am tired of the high-carbohydrate Hamburger Helpers and frozen pizzas. I want good chicken, seasoned steaks, tasty pastas, and anything that makes my tummy happy and my waistline less stretched out! I also like the smell of my home after a delicious meal has been cooked in it. My favorite type of cooking with no doubt is when I am helping a Master Chef (especially if that master chef is cute to watch. Ha!) Alright, dreaming is allowed but not very helpful right now in my resolution. I need good advice on easy-to-make items that isn’t going to punch hours of my time or rob my bank account. Well-meaning friends tell me about what they do. Do I remember these? Well, I mix them up! Let’s see, I am to use vinegar in my pan before pouring the eggs for the omelet, and then mince the cranberries with the mustard….. Uh, yum??? Yep, I think these friendly ideas need to be written down -- but they better not look like a cookbook at all. (For some odd reason, I have an irrational fear of cookbooks! Ha) Therefore, I am calling for all good cooking ideas (notice I don’t call them recipes). Won’t you feel better if you help me in my quest for a smaller bottom?? (See, laugh often…..ha)

I think my other resolution will be to Drink More! Oh, I know what you are thinking! Actually I want to drink more WATER! Last night, I tried sparkling water flavored with cran-raspberry mixed with a little bourbon (it was new year’s eve). Trust me -- that was NOT a good combination! (grin) Water without the bourbon treats my insides so much better. I’d love to also start my day with a good cup of coffee instead of a diet coke. Oh dear….anyone out there know how to make coffee? (This girl needs some major intervention!)

Happy New Year Everyone!! May 2011 be your Heaven! (Ok, still cheesy.) I guess this one is better even if it isn’t my own words: Live Well. Love Much. Laugh Often.

3 comments:

  1. You forgot about not using your cookbooks to the point of just boxing them up and storing them on the top shelf of your coat closet. Then when you wanted to find something very important - not a cookbook or recipe - you couldn't find this idem. Maybe if you had been using your cookbooks... :) Moral (for Jenny): don't hide something important with your cookbooks.
    Signed: your Mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay... easy easy cooking...

    Chicken Breasts in a Skillet

    Get a skillet out and put it on the stove top... pour a smidgen of Olive Oil in the pan. (just enough to keep things from sticking). Toss in some garlic. Put stove on about a 6 (medium/med high heat)... heat up garlic and oil until room smells all good and garlicky.

    Place chicken breasts in the pan (best if thawed - but if frozen, you will need a lid for your skillet and it will take longer.AND.. if frozen watch out for splattering HOT oil!)

    On the chicken...sprinkle salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary (or any other herbs that smell good to you).

    Put the lid on top (if frozen) and check the pan every 3-5 minutes. Turning them over when they begin to look nice and brown on bottom.

    They will be done in approx. 20 mins. (longer if frozen) Check if they are done by cutting into the thickest part of the meat and looking into it. Keep cooking until it looks done.

    Easy. Have fun experimenting with the herbs. Can do with pork chops too... but on them add things like brown sugar or apple sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken in the micro:

    Same as above but smother in mayonnaise and put in a lidded microwavable dish. Pour some salad dressing on top. Microwave on high for 10 mins... check and keep cooking/checking every 5 mins after.

    Chick in micro is not as tender and yummy... but will be fast, easy clean up and better than McD.

    ReplyDelete